Tonight I decided to step outside of my culinary comfort zone and try something new! I have recently taken a liking to thai food, especially red curry! I was craving soup and decided thai red chicken curry soup sounded delish! This soup was rather simple to make and didn’t require a lot of time or overly unique ingredients. I followed a recipe that I found on pinterest which can be found here. I switched up a couple of ingredients since it was more convenient for what I had in my fridge and I was willing to step outside of the box. I used brown sugar instead of regular sugar, lime instead of lemon, dried basil instead of fresh, and chicken stock instead of water.
This soup was fantastic in that it was light, yet filling. I felt it was not overly creamy, which made it a perfect soup for the beginning of the fall season. I also liked that there was a carb incorporated in this soup. A lot of times soups can have potatoes or some sort of pasta which can be a little heavy, but the jasmine rice was the perfect compliment to the lightness of the soup.
As for beverage pairings, I would suggest a Riesling. This will help cut the heat from the curry and it can also bring out the slight sweetness in the wine. A smooth, medium bodied red wine such as Merlot would also make a great pairing as well.
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into small pieces)
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 white onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- Handful of mushrooms
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp of lemon or lime juice
- Dried Basil (you can also use fresh basil)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place 2 chicken breasts into oven for 20 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking heat olive oil in a pan
- Add onions, and garlic, and saute for a minute or so
- Add red bell peppers and mushrooms
- Add red curry paste and fry for a minute or so
- Cut up chicken into small pieces and add to the pan to finish cooking
- Add coconut milk and chicken stock
- Bring the curry to a boil
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Add fish sauce, lemon or lime juice, brown sugar, and salt
- Sprinkle basil into pan
- Place jasmine rice in the bottom of a soup bowl
- Serve the hot soup on top of the rice, and enjoy!
Share your favorite thai recipes with me in the comment section above!